Arlene's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

Aug 18, 14

bookshelves: read-2009, favorites, romance, historical, adult, top-ten-of-all-time
Read in May, 2009

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons is such a beautiful story of two people who fall in love in the midst of a country at war. I loved the two main characters, and their devotion and self-sacrifice for each other was beauteous! The author did a splendid job of mixing a good amount of history with a perfect balance of struggle, family, love, devotion, deceit, and all the things that become important when a country is in crisis and two people are fighting to hold on to the one thing that gives them the strength and will to survive.

The story takes place in 1941 in Leningrad, Russia, when the country is at war with Germany. Two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha, fall in love with the same man, a Red Army officer named Alexander or "Shura." Tatiana struggles to do what is right by her family while hiding the love and devotion she feels for Shura. Her story unfolds as the war progresses and her family falls victim to the perils of a nation at war. Shura and Tatiana share a love that stands the test of devotion to one's family and country.

The size of the book is daunting, but don't let that stop you. At first I thought, no way will I finish this book anytime soon, it's longer than War & Peace! No not really. :) I was wrong, though, I finished it in about 5 days because I could not put it down. It stayed on my mind the whole time, and all I could think of was when I could get back to Shura and Tatiana's story. Such a great read! Absolute perfection!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Great Review Arlene! I want to pick this one up :)

Arlene Thank you Sarah! I really loved this one. I hope you enjoy it, if you decide to read it. :)

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M I saw it yesterday at the bookstore but I was already grabbing another book so I wasnt able to grab two :( It is quite a big book tho as you said and the cover is really pretty. Have you read the next one in the series?

Arlene There are three in this series and I read the first two. I was given spoilers on the last book and decided not to read it because the male MC does something in the last book that put me off, so I didn't want to spoil my image of him. The two books I read were great!

Right, the book is HUGE! IMO. :)

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Ohh no! I hate spoilers. Thats really lame! Oh well I think the last book is coming out sometime this year where I live. But I guess its a reprint or something.

I havent read much about this time period either so I am definately interested.

Arlene Oh I asked for the spoilers. LOL And when I got them, I didn't like what happened so I decided not to read the book.

I didn't know too much about this time period either, so it was definitely interesting to read the events that unfolded in Leningrad during this war.

I hope you enjoy them if you read the books.

Nomes the first two books are my favourites, arlene. the third one is just as addictive but in some ways i wish i had never read it :/

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited May 08, 2011 10:34PM) (new)

I bought this for really cheap on my nook, and I've been really wanting to read it. So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Arlene @Nomes, see one of my Booker friends read all three and she saw that I loved the first two and stopped me there. I'm glad I haven't read the third one because I was fangurling over Shura and knowing what I know about the third book, I would be really upset. I might read it some day, but not just yet. :)

Thank you Kate. I hope you enjoy it. It's a really long book and it took me a while to get through it, but I was hooked. Happy reading. :)

Nomes I don't think I would have the will power to not read the third ~ but it was disturbing. And very different to the other two any way. Gosh ~ how hot is alexander? he's way up there on my list of crushes :D

Arlene Yes, top 10 for sure.

I have the book on my shelf and every now and again I get tempted, but I like him too much to read what he did. ^^

Nomes i was pretty shattered

but... it was done okay. and maybe not as bad as you think. He was not entirely to blame...

Arlene I heard that too. It's just he was so perfect in the first two books. LOL I'm getting closer to wanting to read it. You're seriously tempting me! :)

Nomes I am feeling nostalgic about them myself now, LOL. I re-read all three of them in 2009 so I may be due for a re-read soon...

message 15: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I found this by mistake but I'm glad you gave it a glowing 5 star review because it really has my interest. I think I know what my next book will be. :)

Arlene I loved this book Jenn. It's huge though, so don't be put off by the size of the book. I hope you like it too. One of my fave. :)