Alissa Bach's Reviews > A Single Shard

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

1915434
Apr 15, 2009

bookshelves: award-winners, historical, realistic, re-read
Read from December 07 to 09, 2016

Re-reading for Battle of the Books 2017

A good bit of historical fiction that doesn't get too bogged down in the boring history stuff (I usually avoid historical fiction, because it can be sooooooo dry. I'm not naming names, but those H.F. books I am passive-aggressively referring to know who they are).

I hadn't read any of Park's books before this, but really enjoyed it. She did a great job balancing the characters and the story and the historical details (Note: It was interesting to read about Korean history too, since my husband's family is Korean). I was rooting for Tree-Ear from Page One and, although the ending was one of those that tied up a little too neatly and Happily Ever Afteresque, I was glad for it.

The only bad thing about this book is it REALLY made me want kimchi really, REALLY bad and I do not have access to any kimchi. And now I'm left with a craving for a rare food I can't immadiately have (Because I want the good stuff. Not the nasty crap you find in the "World Foods" aisle of Meijer or Kroger. I'd either have to make the kimchi myself, which I don't have time to do right now, or go to the Korean/Chinese restaurant that's a half hour drive from my house, which I can't afford to do until after payday. Grrrr! I'll trade my firstborn for a dish of kimchi, but the Good Stuff.).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Single Shard.

12/07/2016 marked as: read