Dina's Reviews > Ravished

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in April, 2009

4 1/2 stars

I like Beauty and the Beast tales and Ravished is many reader's favorite Amanda Quick novel, so I chose it as my introduction to her work. I'm glad to say I was not disappointed. :)

I loved Gideon from the start and he was everything but The Beast of Blackthorne Hall, the nickname he received due to his "shady" reputation and his sinister appearance. I was expecting to meet a dark, tortured hero, but he was actually quite funny. Harriet was a different matter and it took me some time to understand her. She came dangerously close to becoming a TSTL heroine when she put herself in danger by refusing to listen to Gideon's reasoning, not only once but twice. Her redeeming point was her never-faltering trust in Gideon, jumping - at one time, literally! - to his defense whenever someone dared to speak ill of him.

As for the story, it was entertaining, funny and fast paced. Some events and, particularly, Harriet's reaction to them were "unusual" (for lack of a better word) but, in the end, I thought that quirkiness was fitting. I wasn't too surprised with the identity of the master villain, even though I spent most of the time thinking it was someone else. Considering this was a romance and not a mystery-thriller novel, I have no complaints. And the ending... Ah, I love closing a book with a smile on my face! :)
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravished.

04/28/2009 page 1
0.26% "My first Amanda Quick read."
04/29/2009 page 66
17.14% "I´ve only read 3 chapters so far, but I´ve already lost count of how many times the word "ravish" and its derivatives have been mentioned."
04/29/2009 page 110
28.57% "Harriet has ventured into "TSTL territory". Gideon is the only reason why this book hasn´t hit the wall yet."
04/29/2009 page 200
51.95% "Harriet has just referred to Gideon as an Earl. Well, he´s a Viscount and his father is still alive! The chit is jumping the gun, LOL."
04/29/2009 page 319
82.86% "OMG, has Harriet killed Mr. Morland???"
04/30/2009 page 416
100% "Review/impressions coming soon. I need to run now."

Corrine I do like this book, but for some reason, I always have a hard time remembering if I've actually read it. In fact, I've actually bought this book twice because I completely forgot that I read it years ago.

Dina LOL, that´s never happened to me... yet!

seton This is the one with the cravat bondage, right? That's the only way I can remember this one, Corrine.

Holly LOL. I think Scandal is the one your thinking of with the cravat bondage.

seton Well, dayum. Is this the one with the HUGE stain of blood on the wedding nite then?

If not, then I am going to have to change my rating cause I obviously cant remember it enough to rate it. 8-P

Holly Nope again. That one is Seduction.

seton Jeez, Holly, you must tell me your secret on how u can keep these AQs apart,

Corrine This is the one where they consumate their marriage in a vat of rose petals... I think.

Dina LOL, you guys are cracking me up! I didn´t know Quick was so "creative" in her love scenes.

No, Corrine, no rose petals in Ravished. Their first time happens in a cave, ending with Harriet compromised and Gideon asking her to marry him.

Corrine Oh, okay... well, WTH book was it with the rose petals?!?!?! Maybe... Desire?

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Yes, there are rose petals in Desire, Corrine. I haven´t read this book yet, but I skimmed through it to see if I could find your reference. :)

Corrine Yay! I actually remembered an Amanda Quick novel. :D

Holly Well, now I now what books to quote from for K's game.

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Nice review. Her books are usually good about making me smile. :)

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Thanks, Catherine. :) I love her quirky heroines.

Marie What is a TSTL Heroine?

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Marie, TSTL stands for Too Stupid To Live. :)

Marie HAHA I love it, I should totally make a shelf with that title. Lord knows I have read enough romance novels with women like that!

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars