Thomas's Reviews > The Rules of Survival

2018505
Apr 15, 09

bookshelves: five-stars, 2nd-favorites, young-adult, realistic-fiction
Read in April, 2009

"The Rules of Survival" is about Matthew Walsh who lives with his two younger sisters and their abusive mother. He retells his story through a letter that he intends to give to his youngest sister Emmy, who was too young to understand the events that went on when Nikki abused them and put them through more than just their fair share of pain.

This was such a good novel, I read it in only two days (both school days), so you can tell how addicted I was to reading it. I seriously felt Matt's pain and I was rooting viciously for him as I devoured the book. At first when he kept referring to Emmy by saying "you" it got on my nerves, but it faded away later on. I have never heard of Nancy Werlin before, but I'm definetly going to look at her other novels because this one came out of nowhere and impressed me. A lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules of Survival.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mira (new)

Mira If you haven't yet I would try Impossible. In my opinion that is certaintly her best.

Thomas I have read Impossible actually, I liked it! In my opinion not as good as The Rules of Survival but still a good book.