Annago's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Apr 16, 2009

Read in April, 2009

It's tempting to say that I feel sorry for Mrs. Vaughan, who has a husband who understands the female psyche so well that he can pen 10 volumes' worth of compelling female characters.

But if we are to take away anything from Y: The Last Man, it's that understanding the opposite sex is not that simple (or trite). Being an apocalyptic story, the range of female reactions to violence in YTLM is the perfect illustration of this point: Consider Toyota's snide joy of combat superiority, versus 355's quite abhorrent acceptance of violence as 'necessary' and Dr. Allison Mann's detrimental aversion to guns. Vaughan shows us that while there are differences between men and women, there are always exceptions to disprove the rules and in the end, there are neither men nor women, just humans. Humans who probe the rifts that separate them, take pains to build bridges to each other and watch heartbroken when those tenuous connections burn. Guerra's art is as solid as Vaughan's characters.

In an entertainment world where X-Men never really stay dead and TV shows are forced into extra seasons if they are popular enough, YTLM has a refreshingly clear trajectory and a satisfying conclusion. I recommend this series to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Glad to hear that it wraps up well. I read the first half or so of the volumes a few years ago; need to finish them up someday!