Stephanie's Reviews > Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros

Book Fiesta! by Pat Mora

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: multicultural-international

I enjoyed the fanciful, colorful illustrations (a purple elephant, a sunny garden) in Book Fiesta, but the text lacks even the semblance of a narrative arc. It's just a list of random places kids could read, from cars and trains to sailing with whales and floating in a hot-air balloon. From some odd reason, the Spanish text keeps repeating "Tun, tun!," which is generally translated as "Knock! Knock!" It's unclear what this sound is for, and it's even more unclear why the book's English text translates it as "Toon! Toon!," which makes absolutely no sense in English. While certainly a translation need not -- and no doubt should not -- be literal, this book suggests different meanings in the two languages. For example, the final passage says children "fly away in our books"; the Spanish version is "volamos CON nuestros libros" which is "we fly with our books." The illustrator opted to depict the latter, with children rising into the sky holding their books, though the former seems to better evoke the metaphorical use of "traveling" via books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book Fiesta!.