Tiffany's Reviews > Unless

Jun 28, 09

bookshelves: 2009, favourites, great-can-lit, feminism, canadian-fiction
Recommended to Tiffany by: Anne
Read in June, 2009

In a manner more eloquent than I could ever manage, this book expresses everything I feel about modern feminism and why it's still very much a necessity.

Heartbreaking. Beautiful. Consuming. These are only a small portion of words that can begin to describe Unless by Carol Shields. Reta Winters' daughter is so overwhelmed by her desire to experience every success and beauty the world has to offer, but her realization that she can never have everything as a woman is too much to bear. As a result, she shuts down: she lives her life on a street corner in Toronto, begging for money and wearing a sign that simply says "Goodness."

"Goodness not greatness." Yes, women can choose whether or not to stay home with their children or have careers. Yes, they have the potential and opportunities to become world leaders, business moguls, successful human beings. But are we completely, truly, utterly equal in that we have every opportunity for actual greatness, not just goodness, that a man does? Unless explores this question in a way that is genuine and sincere, acknowledging our feminine past as well as what still needs to be done for our future.

I cried while I read this book, and when I mulled it over afterward. I feel like it extracted my core and shook it up a bit.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unless.

06/24/2009 page 25
06/24/2009 page 160
47.62% "This book is awesome."