Julia's Reviews > I Love You Like a Tomato

I Love You Like a Tomato by Marie Giordano

F_50x66
Aug 06, 09

Read in May, 2009

ChiChi Maggiordano, the main character and heroine, narrates this story in first person prose like a memoir of her childhood from birth in Italy immigrating with her family to Minnasota,USA in the 1950's.
In my opinion it is truley a classic, coming of age, charming book about the struggles and heartbreaking disappointments of not only immigrants but growing up in general. ChiChi describes her veiw of life, family, friends, her feelings of love, joy, sadness and frustration in cartoonic 1950's slang, translating in Italian and broken italiano/americano phrasiology. Like" I love a you so much I'm a break you face, eh?"
What makes this book brilliant is Marie Giordano's ability to draw the the reader into ChiChi's experiences and laugh and cry with her. what makes it a classic is its timeless, universal appeal to all genre of readers.
I learned a little more of how cruel human nature can be and how we should all strive to be more tolerant and accepting of our differences, encouraging change in our world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You Like a Tomato.