Denise's Reviews > The Kommandant's Mistress

The Kommandant's Mistress by Sherri Szeman

Mar 27, 2012

bookshelves: female-author, historical-fiction, world-war-2, holocaust, knocked-my-socks-off
Recommended for: anyone interested in the Third Reich,particularly women
Read in April, 2009

I loved this novel. It was written in a different fashion with various 'scenes' mixed together, one leading to another. I really enjoyed it after I got used to the 'format.' It is the story of the commandant of a concentration camp and the beautiful young Jewish woman he made his mistress. It is extremely intense; I could barely put it down.

The novel was written in three parts: the first part was written from the Kommandant's perspective; the second part was written from the Jewish slave-woman's perspective; and the third part was their obituaries.

In addition to 'Those Who Save Us' by Jenna Blum, this is one of my favorite works of historical fiction concerning the Third Reich.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kommandant's Mistress.

Alexandria Thank you for the "particularly women" part. Sometimes that gets overlooked because so many readers are fascinated by my portrayal of Max as an "ordinary guy", as opposed to as a raving lunatic. Alexandria Constantinova (formerly writing as "Sherri") Szeman

Denise You are very welcome. I loved your novel! I'm glad to see your new name, too. :)

Alexandria Thanks, Denise. I wanted to change my name to that since I was 17, and certainly when first novel was published. So happy to have done it (first common-law, till I could think of a middle name), then legally. I think it's more "me".
Good weekend,