Elizabeth's Reviews > This Side of Heaven

Apr 15, 09

bookshelves: currently-reading, q4-2009
Read in April, 2009

April 14, 2009

This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury is a book about twenty-eight year old Josh Warren, who lives a hard and painful life as a result of being hit by a drunk driver. Josh is physically disabled from the accident and must quit his job as a tow truck driver. With the help of his attorney, Josh waits day after day for the insurance company to send him a settlement. However, this is not what troubles Josh the most. After going to Vegas and having a one night relationship with a woman there, he receives news that he is a father to the woman's daughter, who lives in New York City. Josh's dream is to be a father and will do whatever it takes to make this dream come true.
Although I have not completely finished this book, I have loved it since the first page. Like every Karen Kingsbury novel I've read, This Side of Heaven is a page-turner involving hardship and the test of one's faith. One of the main things I like about this book is the way Kingsbury tells the story in each person's point of view, switching from Josh's, to his mother's, to his sister's, and even to that of the woman Josh had a relationship with in Vegas and her daughter's. Because Kingsbury did this, the book is more interesting instead of monotoned with only one narrator the whole time. This book is wonderful, and I cannot wait to finish it and find out what happens in the end. If you are a regular reader of Karen Kingsbury or just love a good read about overcoming heartache with faith, then definitely add This Side of Heaven to your to-read list.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of Heaven.