Shawna's Reviews > Temptation Ridge

Temptation Ridge by Robyn Carr

Jun 04, 09

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, robyn-carr, 2009-reads, best-top-favorites, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorite-romance-series, favorites, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, heroine-i-adore, hero-im-gaga-over, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, hero-alpha‎, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, series-virgin-river, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, small-town-lovin, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, 5-stars-or-higher, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-brooding, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, heroine-girl-next-door, heroine-redhead, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-bad-boy-playboy, heroine-good-girl-nice, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, hh-pilot
Recommended to Shawna by: Auntee
Recommended for: Fans of the series; contemporary romance fans
Read in June, 2009

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

I’ve been reading this series straight through from the very beginning over the past week and have found myself totally and happily immersed in the charming, small town community life of Virgin River.

The spotlight couple of Temptation Ridge is Shelby and Luke, and I really loved both characters and enjoyed their realistic romantic progression, but I wanted more of them and the ending left me yearning a bit. For some reason, this time around, the parallel storylines seemed more like a distraction and didn’t quite work as well for me as they did in the previous books. Maybe it’s because Shelby and Luke’s relationship is more complex and his personal issues and their obstacles didn’t seem to be totally resolved in the end.

Shelby, General Walt Booth’s niece and Vanni’s cousin, is a truly lovable heroine. After being the sole caregiver for her terminally ill mother for the past five years and enduring the pain of her loss, at age 25 she’s ready to face the world and wants to experience all the things she’s missed out on: school, travel, adventure, sex, and first love. Luke Riordan is a 38-year-old tough-edged ex-army Blackhawk pilot who recently retired after serving 20 years in hot combat zones like Somalia, Afghanistan, and Iraq. He comes to Virgin River to restore some cabins he bought for investment property and for some much needed R&R. The last thing he wants is any sort of romantic entanglement or commitment, especially with an innocent, 25-year-old virgin with a retired army general for an uncle. He likes one night stands, doesn’t believe in love, and has no desire for a wife and kids. Shelby might be young, but she’s honest, emotionally strong, independent, direct, and knows exactly what she wants...and that’s Luke! Of course, Luke has a very painful past that’s scarred him emotionally and made him cynical of women, trust, and love, but Shelby is patient and determined to win his heart. They might be the last thing each expected to need or want, but wind up being exactly what they both need. I just wish more of the story had been devoted to their romance and would have liked a little bit more conclusion to their HEA, but hopefully Carr will give their relationship some face time in future books.

One disappointment for me was the super quick wrap-up of Joe and Nikki’s relationship from Second Chance Pass. I was really hoping they would be a spotlight couple and wanted more of their romance. Instead, we got another side tryst beginning between Nikki and Vanni’s friend Abby and Dr. Cameron Michaels, which I’m guessing will be continued in the next book, Paradise Valley.

Walt and Muriel’s vivacious relationship continues to grow, and their scenes are funny and sweet. Luke's friendship and emotional bond with a sweet-natured runaway with Down syndrome named Art is a nice addition to the story, and of course, the whole town embraces him as one of their own.

There’s the death of a beloved member of the community, an accident involving a school bus that provides some tense drama, and some funny moments with Mel giving Jack and Preacher the third degree over making her fat.

So, although it’s not my favorite book of the series, it’s still an engaging, touching addition to the extraordinary Virgin River series and worthy of big 5 stars!

Anyone think we’ll see more of Luke’s brothers in future books? Wouldn’t Sean and Aiden Riordan make fine Virgin River romantic heroes?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation Ridge.

06/03/2009 page 76
18.27% 1 comment
06/04/2009 page 416
100.0% "I liked Shelby and Luke, but there wasn't enough of them."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee I sure hope she includes some of Luke's brothers in future books!

I also was disappointed with Joe and Nikki's story--I wanted more too, but I loved Luke and Shelby so much, that it was a fair trade-off.:)

Shawna, you only have one left!!

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Making her fat? Who made who fat?

There are so many reviews on this series right now!

Shawna Tammy, she "thinks" she's fat...she blames Preacher because he makes such delicious, unhealthy country cookin'! Of course, he tells her that he doesn't make her eat a piece of pie everyday! That part had me laughing out loud!!

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Ah. Makes sense!

Shawna I sure hope so too Auntee because Luke's brothers would make some mighty fine Virgin River heroes!

Yeah, I really love Joe, so I was disappointed that there wasn't more of him and Nikki. But like you said, Shelby and Luke's story is great!

I'm not real happy with Abby right now, so I'm anxious to see how her and Cam's story plays out.

I'm sort of depressed that I only have book 7 left because now I'll have to wait so long for books 8 and 9 to come out! I think maybe I should have paced myself! Oh well, at least there's more than plenty in the good ole' TBR pile to hold me until then!

Tammy, you haven't read this series yet? I bet you would like it!

Mitch Just an FYI - There are 3 more books do out after #7, just in case y'all didn't know. I'm only on #4, "A Virgin River Christmas" but I'm sooo enjoying the series.

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy No, I haven't started it yet. Too many books ahead of it! But I am going to start collecting the series now that I've read so many great reviews.

Auntee I think there's one coming out this Fall too in a Christmas anthology--that's not so long to wait!

BTW, Abby irked me a bit in the next story...:)

BTW, Abby irked me a bit in the next story...:)

Rochelle Okay, so I'm late on the comments, but I just finished it.
I would love to see more of Aiden Riordan! =)

message 11: by Shawna (last edited Mar 08, 2010 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Rochelle wrote: "Okay, so I'm late on the comments, but I just finished it. I would love to see more of Aiden Riordan! =)"

Luckily we get his brothers (and a little bit more of him) in Angel's Peak and Moonlight Road!

Rochelle Shawna wrote: "Luckily we get his brothers (and a little bit more of him) in [book:Angel..."

NICE!
I try to not look at the characters in the books I haven't got to yet so I can keep the surprises :)