Shawna's Reviews > Shelter Mountain

Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr

Oct 09, 2014

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, author-robyn-carr, 2009-reads, best-top-favorites, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, favorite-romance-series, hero-beta, hero-im-gaga-over, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, series-virgin-river, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, small-town-lovin, culinary-lovin-food-sex-chef-wine, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, 5-stars-plus, heroine-single-mom, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-gentleman, a-all-time-favorite-hero, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, heartwarming, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, kids-cute-faves-prominent-in-story, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hero-protective, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz
Recommended to Shawna by: Auntee
Recommended for: Fans of contemporary romance
Read in May, 2009

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

This second book in the Virgin River series about a rustic small town with a population of roughly 600 people finds ex-marine John “Preacher” Middleton, a mountain of a man, providing shelter in more ways than one for an abused wife on the run with her three-year-old son.

When Paige seeks refuge from a storm in Virgin River’s local tavern while passing through town with her son Christopher, Preacher immediately recognizes that she’s a troubled woman in need, and she stirs up protective instincts in him that he’s never felt before. Preacher has lived a rather solitary life and was resigned that he would never find a woman to share his life with. His appearance is misleading (he’s described as looking like a rough bouncer and a bit like Mr. Clean), and he’s convinced that women and children only see him as a tough, scary-looking guy. Preacher is such a tenderhearted, shy, gentle-giant-of-a-man with a heart that’s bigger than his biceps, and his quiet strength, gentleness, inner peace and calm, loyalty, love, and fierce protectiveness turn out to be exactly what Paige and Christopher need. Although he might be a man of few words, his actions speak volumes of his heart, and he guards and loves Paige and Christopher like a proud, loving papa bear.

Preacher and the whole town become a harbor, a safe haven for Paige, and the shelter and solace they provide allows her to heal and find her own confidence and inner strength. I liked Shelter Mountain even better than the first book in the series. There were tearful and laugh-out-loud moments and the romance is oh so sweet in this one. This story, and the series, is about healing, love in unexpected places, and acts of kindness that make a true family. Very big 5 stars!
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter Mountain.

05/29/2009 page 1
05/30/2009 page 368
97.87% "I'm trying to wipe the tears from my eyes so I can start reading book 3." 2 comments

message 1: by Auntee (last edited May 31, 2009 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Loved Preacher too! This series is filled with lovable heroes!:)

Proud, loving, papa bear decribes him perfectly--wait until you see him in the next books!:)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore this series! I cried at least once during each book.

message 3: by Julianna (last edited May 31, 2009 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julianna I've really been looking forward to reading this series. It sounds like something I would really enjoy, but I recently found out that it is a spin-off of the Grace Valley series. You all know what a stickler I am for reading series in order, but I'm wondering how connected the two series are. Have any of you ladies read both? Are there any carry-over characters or plots between them? Anything in the Virgin River series that might "spoil" the Grace Valley trilogy for me if I read it first?

Corrine Okay, I think this might have to be the next one I read. Two glowing reviews in one week.

message 5: by Auntee (last edited May 31, 2009 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee No Julie, don't worry about the Grace Valley series. I have the Grace Valley series in the TBR pile, and from what I know, they can practically stand alone from the Virgin River series. True, a couple of the characters (doctors) from Grace Valley make appearances in Virgin River from time to time, but I don't think you will read any spoilers that weren't already revealed on the back bookcover.

If you do read the Virgin River series, make sure you read them in order (I'm sure you would anyway)! I think you would love this series Julie!:)

Julianna Thanks Auntee! I have the first four Virgin River books, and every time I see a glowing review for one of them it makes me want to grab it off the shelf immediately.:-) I think I might have to bump these up.

Auntee Oh yeah, bump 'em up Julie!:)

message 8: by Shawna (last edited May 31, 2009 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Corrine, I think you'll like this one since you love the 'abused heroine finding love and protection' theme.

Julie, Auntee's right...bump 'em up girl! :)