Shawna's Reviews > Virgin River

Virgin River by Robyn Carr

Oct 09, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, robyn-carr, 2009-reads, best-top-favorites, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-im-gaga-over, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, favorite-romance-series, hero-i-wanna-marry, series-virgin-river, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hh-widow-or-widower, hero-alpha‎, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, small-town-lovin, culinary-lovin-food-and-sex-chef, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, 5-stars-or-higher, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-military-war-veteran, a-all-time-fave-hero, a-all-time-best-of-best-fave-dik, hero-gentleman, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, heartwarming, romance-doesnt-end-at-40, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, older-mature-hero-and-heroine, hero-protective, chick-lit, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hero-older-mature, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz
Recommended to Shawna by: Auntee
Recommended for: Contemporary romance fans
Read in May, 2009

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said about this sweet, delightful, feel-good contemporary romance and for very good reason, and now I’m finally glad that I get what all the fuss is about.

Virgin River is a heartwarming story about a young, grieving widow whose spirit is rejuvenated and soul revived by working as a nurse and midwife in a quaint little country town called Virgin River, with quirky, friendly, salt-of-the-earth people surrounded by the beauty of nature. After losing her young husband in a violent crime in L.A., feeling suffocated by grief, and tired of the chaotic, stressful life as a nurse in a big city hospital, Mel decides that a complete change of scenery and small town pace is exactly what she needs.

On first arrival in Virgin River, nothing is what she expected and Mel thinks she made a rash, huge mistake and can’t wait to pack up and leave, but life doesn’t always go the way we plan. An abandoned baby and local women in need of good prenatal care remind Mel of why she became a nurse and midwife in the first place and fill her with a sense of purpose. What she didn’t anticipate is having her heart reopened through the kindness, patience, and love of an ex-marine. Jack is one of the most dreamy, tender romantic heroes ever, and his support and care of Mel is absolutely tear-worthy it’s so touching. The way he fixes up Mel’s cottage so she’ll have reason to stay, his tenderness in helping her with the abandoned baby, how he keeps his bar/restaurant open all night when she’s delivering a baby in the event she needs something, and his unwavering patience in earning her trust and courting her...the list just goes on and on.

I’m only sorry that I waited so long to read this enchanting story, but one good thing about being late is that now I can read the next six books in the series right away without having to wait for their release! Big 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virgin River.

05/29/2009 page 386
100.0% "Now I get what all the fuss is about with this book...such a sweet and heartwarming story! On to book #2!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee Yea, you loved it! (I knew you would!):)

And you loved Jack too!:)

Aren't you lucky to have that whole series in front of you? I envy you!:)

Shawna Yep, I loved it and loved Jack!! Thanks for the recommendation! Now I'm on to book 2!

message 3: by Inara (new) - added it

Inara I think I will have to add these series to my pile! Like you I´ve read so many good reviews about these books and now I will give them a try! Great review!

message 4: by Inara (new) - added it

Inara I already ordered the book yesterday.. I´m too curious now!

message 5: by Inara (new) - added it

Inara Oh, Bookmooch, I forgot! But I really have a problem: I can never part with my books - for good or worse, space or no space - we stay together...
.. and books I don´t like I cast away, no way I´d bother other people with books I deem to be not so good..

message 6: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Shawna: Just was "cruising" all my friends reviews on this one since I just read it! Thanks for your great review (you put a sweet "glaze" over the heroine for me even! LOL!).

One thing we all certainly seem to have no problem convening our love of is the FANTASTIC hero! I haven't been this enamoured with a well-written hero for some time! Gotta love Jack! :)
K.

Shawna K. wrote: "Shawna: Just was "cruising" all my friends reviews on this one since I just read it! Thanks for your great review (you put a sweet "glaze" over the heroine for me even! LOL!).

One thing we a..."

Thanks K! Jack is one of my top favorite romantic heroes, ever! :) And he gets even better (which I know seems impossible, but it's true) as the series progresses. You've got some great books to look forward to! :)

Ally72 Great review Shawna! I just started this last night and had to force myself to put it down because I needed to go to sleep. I love these characters and you perfectly described how I feel!
Ally

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Jack sounds delish, Shawna. Glad you liked this one.

Shawna Alexis wrote: "Great review Shawna! I just started this last night and had to force myself to put it down because I needed to go to sleep. I love these characters and you perfectly described how I feel!Ally"

Thanks, Ally! You're in for a real treat with the VR series! It's one of my top faves 'cause every book is 5-star-wonderful and the heroes are all to die for, especially Jack! I think book 2, Shelter Mountain, is still my very favorite of the series. I can't wait to hear what you think about them! Enjoy! :)

Shawna Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Jack sounds delish, Shawna. Glad you liked this one. "

Have you not read this series yet, Danielle?!?! I think you'll love 'em! :)

message 12: by Beanbag (last edited Feb 04, 2010 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beanbag Love I just finished the first four of these books and I'm completely hooked. I've got several series I'm alternating on and I'm really trying to stick with not reading too much of one author all at once, but it's very difficult with Virgin River.

Jack is such a wonderful linchpin for this series. A great romantic hero, but also just a great character period.

Great review, Shawna. I didn't see it back when you first wrote it, but we definitely agree. :D

Shawna Thanks, Bean! It's easy to get hooked on this series. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I see you're also reading Singh's Psy-Changeling series, which is another one of my favorites. :)

message 14: by Teo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teo Another great review from you, Shawna. Just found it and although I've never heard of Robyn Carr before, I now have this urge to look for Virgin River and see what "all the fuss is about' ;) It definitely sounds like something I might enjoy.

BTW, I think it was your review of Covet that made me read it and it turned out that was one fine story! Thanks for that :)

Shawna Thanks, Teo! It's a great series, especially yummy Jack Sheridan, who's one of my all-time fave romantic heroes.

Laura This was such a great read!

message 17: by Kouk (new) - added it

Kouk Great review Shawna! I just bought this book and can't wait to read it!

Shawna Thanks, Kouk! I hope you enjoy it!

message 19: by Teo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teo Ha! So I did it, it read Virgin River and then I just had to keep going! I wanted to take a break after the second book but I just couldn't. Now I've read 5 books in 3 weeks and I can't put them down. Anyway, wanted to thank you for indirectly recommending the series :)

Shawna I devoured this series when I first discovered it, too! I'm glad you're enjoying it Teo!