Silvana's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

Apr 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi, bookmooch, used-to-own, donated, space-the-final-frontier, series-i-abandoned
Read in June, 2009

I liked the idea offered from this book. The adventure and the sci-fi elements were definitely promising. The planet and the ways of living of the people to cope with the harsh environment were interesting.

Too bad, the characterization plus some of the plots were not according to my taste. Some were killed off too fast, the others were...well,simply boring and predictable.

The first part was awesome, the second and the third lost me. The final battle did not offer the highest dramatic tension as hoped. Plus, I found the philosophical nuances (and whatnot) a bit tiring. I wanna see more action, for Verne's sake!

To complete my rambling here: I got the feeling that this book is somewhat misogynic. Not only because I don't like reading books with concubines in it, mind you.

But hey, since I appreciated the ideas offered, I'm still gonna give it a three-star rating. Doesn't mean I'm gonna read it the second time in the near future though.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

05/31/2009 page 200
37.52% "Simply awesome..."
06/03/2009 page 362
67.92% "I like the first part better than the second one."
02/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed One of the greatest Science Fiction books of all time.

Silvana Yes, I can't wait to read it after waiting for three and a half months.

message 3: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Sorry, you didn't like it better. Don't bother with the rest of the series or the prequels written by Herbert's son.

I did not get the idea that there was any misogyny. the women characters in his books are very strong independent people, even the concubines. The Bene Gesserit are part of the system that runs the Empire. Paul's sister is a key component in the plot and without her the bad guys would have won.

Maybe it's the Space Opera aspects of the book that gave you that impression - men fighting with swords and knives and all of that.

Maybe you just didn't like all the aspects of the fictional universe Herbert created.

message 4: by Silvana (last edited Jun 08, 2009 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvana Ed wrote: "Sorry, you didn't like it better. Don't bother with the rest of the series or the prequels written by Herbert's son.

I did not get the idea that there was any misogyny. the women characters in..."

I'm afraid I couldn't provide an explanation on my statement re. misogyny. Just a feeling, I guess.

But I don't think it's the Space Opera aspects. I love Star Wars and the light saber duels, space dogfights and things like those. And I love any other adventure/war/power struggle novels which are very masculine.

As I said before, I appreciated the universal creation by Herbert and I think the ideas (well okay...maybe most of them) offered in this book were promising.

Maybe...I just feel bummed due to the plot. As simple as that :)