Rachelle's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: adobe-reader, e-book, e-books-com
Read from April 15 to May 22, 2009

I was reluctant to read Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells. I don't know why... I held off for six days before I actually started reading. Because I have the ebook for Adobe Digital Editions, and the format was set for letter size (142 pages) instead of half page the text was small and tight. I was just being picky, and it was not the way I was use to reading ebooks.

I got over my little hang-up and started reading. The first half of the book was hard for me to get through. It was a bit flat, but I trudged through because I wanted to give the story a chance.

It was hard to like Sabina Kane, the half vampire half mage assassin. She seemed mindless and blind to everything going on right under her nose. Sabina put off several important bits of information to think about later, but she never really did. The other characters, Giguhl "Mr. Wiggles" (the demon/cat), Adam (the mage), Vinca (the nymph) were amusing and and fun in contrast to Sabina's personality.

The plot thickened (around page 111) when Sabina snapped out of her mental daze and was more appealing. I hope she continues to evolve and reason for herself in The Mage In Black, the second book in the Sabina Kane series.

NOTE: I think this book has a beautifully designed cover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.

05/22/2009 page 84
25.85% "(ebook edition) Wondering how Sabina can be so dense. I don't like her so far...not a very smart heroine does she make."