Rob's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Apr 14, 2009

bookshelves: q42009
Read in March, 2009

I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. The book is about John Kelso, a magazine reporter, who visits Savannah, Georgia. His visit was to review and write about one of the famous parties thrown by resident, Jim Williams. Williams is a very eccentric and "semi-closeted" homosexual who has an unknown and untitled relationship with Billy Hanson. During his stay Billy is found dead and Kelso decides to stay around longer. Along the way Kelso meets some interesting people, including the very friendly Lady Chablis... who is a local and very well known drag queen. Many more strange people are introduced, and a lot of strange events happen. Including late night graveyard rituals between Kelso, Williams and an area voodoo "artist" to help with unraveling the murder.
This book is very entertaining and fun to read. I would recommend it to just about anyone, but could be considered a slow read. I enjoyed the book and the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.