Mike's Reviews > Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt

Christ the Lord by Anne Rice

Apr 14, 09

bookshelves: spirituality, fiction
Read in April, 2009

My first problem with this book was knowing how to classify it. I ended up putting it in both spirituality and fiction, since it certainly contains elements of both. Anne Rice, the author of numerous, very commercially successful vampire books, has had a religious conversion (reversion really) and written a novel about the childhood of Jesus. These are the missing years of his life, since (except for one description of Jesus in Jerusalem as a child) the gospel accounts jump straight from infancy to the beginning of his public ministry as an adult.

How accurate is this? Who and how could anybody possibly ever know? It does consider an interesting question. If one believes the traditional Christian notion of the Incarnation (that Jesus was both fully human and fully divine) at what point and how would the child Jesus realize this. This book is Rice's take on this question. There is also an afterword that gives more information on her decision to return to the Catholicism of her childhood and to write this book. I'm sure long time fans of her previous work would find this interesting.

Ovrall, it's a pretty quick read and I'd recommend it to folks who are intersted in this type of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christ the Lord.