Donna's Reviews > Prayers for Sale

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

2011 update - I reread this for book group and enjoyed it just as much the second time. Also caught more of the colloquialisms this time - they made me smile.

i have to start out with the admission that i'm a Sandra Dallas fan - i've read most of her books (the two exceptions are Chili Queen and New Mercies and they are on my shelf waiting to be read). Normally i would have waited for the book to come out in paperback, but with a hefty coupon and Sandra appearing at a local bookstore (Reader's Cove) i couldn't resist.

Dallas' books are character driven and while there is certainly action in them, it is the dialog and insights into the characters that make her books special. Part of the intrigue of this novel was the local dialect spoken through out the book and the stories of local color relayed by Hennie. Anyone interested in Colorado History will enjoy Dallas' attention to detail. Moonshiners, miners and polygamists all parade through the pages of this book in humorous or heart warming stories.

I loved this book. In fact i think it's the best of the lot. Main character Hennie Comfort is the kind of woman i can identify with thoroughly. Dallas brings in characters from previous novels, including Persian Pickle Club and The Diary of Mattie Spenser. Mattie Spenser was my favorite of Sandra's works before this and it was a huge treat to have the tie in to the characters i so enjoyed.

FYI - Barnes and Noble has picked this novel as a "Recommended Book". A nice pat on the back for Ms. Dallas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayers for Sale.

04/14/2009 page 70
show 5 hidden updates…

Stefanie Wait, I caught the Persian Pickle tie in, but missed the Mattie Spenser reference. Maybe it's been too long since I read Mattie Spenser?

Donna Spoilers, spoilers spoilers in this answer....

Tom Early is the man who wins Mattie's heart, even though she stays with her less than wonderful husband. The whole reference to his lost love is about him and Mattie. Prayers also has a passing reference to Mattie's ultimate fate.

When I saw Dallas at the bookstore i told her that i enjoyed Mattie Spenser and she signed my book "I hope you like what I did with Tom Early." I like it very much :) Originally Dallas was just going to have Tom as a cameo, but she said "Tom had other ideas."

Stefanie Oooohhhh! You're right! And I was right, too! It's been way too long since I read Mattie Spenser.

Stacey Great pick Donna. I loved it! I will definately be reading more of her novels, or listening. The dialogue in this made it a wonderful auido book.