Jamie (The Title Page)'s Reviews > The Lives of Tao

The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu

DISCLAIMER: I received The Lives of Tao as a publisher ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This review can also be found at The Title Page

I really wanted to like The Lives of Tao, I really did. I have heard nothing but great things about it, and it's under one of my favorite publishing houses so I was excited when I was provided the ARC.

I'm not going to lie, The Lives of Tao is just as funny as everyone claims. It's filled with embarrassing moments and snarky conversations. In that sense, yes, it was entertaining.

The issue I has was that I was bored out of my mind reading this book. It follows Roen in his training by his alien-life-partner, Tao. He is enlisted by Tao to work for the Prophus, and be an undercover spy. Sounds exciting, no?

Just as Roen claims in the book, the job of being an international super spy is not as exciting as it looks, and this is where the book suffered. We are plagued by pointless conversations and training, and then when we finally get to the exciting part, it is skimmed over with just a few short sentences.

This book takes more focus than I can give it. Maybe I will return to it someday when I have more time to spend between the pages of a novel.

The random flashbacks to Tao's past lives reminded me a lot of The Amulet of Samarkand in that we caught a glimpse of historical figures from the inside of their minds. It was cool, but it subtracted from the already drizzling story.

I gave it a shot, and I'm willing to try again at another point in my life. This review is my opinion of the book and unless you are exactly like me, don't immediately throw it in the Abandoned pile. Give it a shot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lives of Tao.

Quotes Jamie (The Title Page) Liked

Wesley Chu
“You made your own bed, and now curse others for putting you there.”
Wesley Chu, The Lives of Tao

02/25/2013
02/27/2013
13.0% "I don't like the new cover"
02/28/2013
21.0% ""You made your own bed, and now curse others for putting you there."

Love it."