Joy H.'s Reviews > Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks

Added 4/14/09. Read a while ago.

4/7/11
Sparks writing is sometimes cringe-inducing for me. Too amateurish. One of the GR members has referred to it as "maudlin, overly sentimental schmaltz". However the premise of the story is appealing and that's probably why it's so popular. A better writer might have handled it with more sophistication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Message in a Bottle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

That book seemed like a computer had a program and wrote it to me!

Joy H. Alice wrote: "That book seemed like a computer had a program and wrote it to me!"

How do you mean that, Alice? In what way did it seem like that?

Kairee I agree--I'm not through with the book on tape, but so much of the dialogue feels more like conversation than anything that moves the story forward. I also think some of the descriptions are simplistic, "he felt like he was 16"--"she looked like a model"--"Something about her"--"something about him". I also felt like having male protagonist constantly be reminded of his dead wife by the female protagonist, was a little difficult to get past. I think the real love story here was between Garrett and Catherine. I'm listening to the audio book and I'm glad because I can multi-task. I don't think I would finish this if I was reading it.

Joy H. Kairee, thanks for the examples of the simplistic, lackluster writing style in this book.