Erin's Reviews > Three Men in a Boat

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Feb 12, 15

bookshelves: connie-willis-recommends, 2012, read-fiction, adult
Read in March, 2012

This book is absolutely delightful. I first picked it up because Connie Willis mentioned it in a speech about her favorite books; this one was listed under the category "My All-Time Favorites" and she described it as one of the "great humor classics."

It did not disappoint. Jerome K. Jerome has that special talent for finding that most precise turn of phrase that will take something from mildly interesting to full on hilarious. Where most of us would say, "when I first got a dog," Jerome says "when first he came to live at my expense." The book, Three Men in a Boat, is the story of three men (to say nothing of the dog!) who partake in a boating journey together down the Thames. It's a fairly unremarkable story that is remarkably well-written, and I can't write any more of this review because I loved it too much to say anything coherent about it! I'm sorry! I need a moment.

....

It's just so damn funny! Read this, please! I'll leave you with one of my many favorite quotes from this book:

"I rather pride myself on my packing. Packing is one of those many things that I feel I know more about than any other person living. (It surprises me myself, sometimes, how many of these subjects there are.)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Men in a Boat.