Sue's Reviews > Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy

Unusual Suspects by Dana Stabenow

May 05, 09

bookshelves: anthologies
Read in May, 2009

I enjoyed this collection of short stories. Here are my notes on the stories included in the book:

Lucky-Charlaine Harris
Sookie and a girlfriend help a local realtor figure out who has been breaking into his office, and a whole lot more. Not my favorite Sookie story, but I’ll take what I can get!

Bogieman-Carole Nelson Douglas
Classic film characters brought to life in a strange world. I just couldn’t get into this one.

Looks Are Deceiving-Michael A. Stackpole
Sci-fi story I couldn’t get into because of all the weird names and place names. It was just too distracting.

The House of Seven Spirits-Sharon Shinn
Wonderful story about a woman who moves into a house that is haunted by seven spirits. I really liked this one.

Glamour-Mike Doogan
A man’s daughter disappears the same day a bunch of imps show up in the kingdom. Cute story.

Spellbound-Donna Andrews
This mystery takes place in a school of magic. I liked it a lot.

The Duh Vice-Michael Armstrong
Interesting story about a time in the United States when electricity is monitored. Good ending.

Weight of the World-John Straley
Strange little story that starts with Santa beginning his yearly vacation. It was well written, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as some of the others.

Illumination-Laura Anne Gilman
Don’t know what this one was about. I just couldn’t get into this one.

The House-Laurie R. King
Fantastic story about a house that has something like living memories. Laurie R. King is one of my favorite authors.

Appetite for Murder-Simon R. Green
Very original short story. I liked it a lot. Someone is killing people for their special abilities. Sounds a lot like a “hero” I know.

A Woman’s Work-Dana Stabenow
Very good story about justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unusual Suspects.