Kelly's Reviews > Earth Abides

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

May 02, 09

Read in May, 2009, read count: 2

This was the first 'post apocalyptic' novel I ever read. Oddly, I found it on my mother's bookshelf when looking for something to read one day. This is one of those books I'll remember forever, and probably one of my all time top ten. I wonder how it will stand up to a re-read?

5/1/09: Stands up awesomely well to a re-read. Its a classic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Abides.

04/30/2009 page 93
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♠shane (new) - added it

♠shane If this book got you liking the post apocolyptic genre you should take a look at Alas Babylon. It was written in the fifties and it's a great read. Set on the premise that in the cold war Russia did end up sending off a nuke and starting a nuclear holocaust.

message 2: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I have read Alas Babylon, its a good one! I've been reading and collecting post-apocalyptic ever since I read Earth Abides. Happily its an ever popular genre!

message 3: by ♠shane (new) - added it

♠shane Hmm, you made me check my shelves :). If you're in for a fun read I'd suggest World War Z then. It's a post apocolyptic zombie book. I had a good time reading it.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I'll add it to the list!

Sandi I think it will stand up well to a re-read. I read it last year (or the year before) and was surprised at how current it seemed. There was very little that seemed dated in it.

message 6: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I started it again yesterday and was 100 pages in by the time I turned out my light last night. I can't wait to finish work today so I can tuck in again!

Tony Summerfelt Earth Abides is the book that got me into post-apocalyptic fiction as well. I've been collecting and reading the genre since then. I keep a growing list of novels that fall into this category.