Srinivas's Reviews > The Story of My Life

Feb 04, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading
I own a copy

16/11/09
Was reading for a while in the train on the way to Guntur. Reached the fourth chapter, I guess.
Had made me think quite a bit on what it means to be blind and deaf.
When I was a small kid, I came to know about someone who is deaf, and dumb; At that time, it took me a while to realize that if someone is born with hearing disability, he will not be able to speak. Now that I come to think of it, how do we learn to speak? I mean how do we learn to reproduce the sounds that we hear? Apparently, we don't learn by others' lip movements; if lip movements have anything to do with this, people born blind should not be able to speak, but it's not the case. It seems our brain has a voice synthesizer that can reproduce any words that we hear. How did we develop this ability? what are the evolutionary origins of this? It looks like a very complicated task requiring coordination of multiple organs; what the ear captures as sound has to be processed by the brain to figure out the exact motor commands it should send to the lips, tongue, and throat to regenerate the sound. How did such an amazing ability spring to life accidentally? Of course, it evolved gradually; what are the intermediate stages in the evolution of this particular ability?
[4/2/10:]

///
Started reading during the Lucknow trip. Finished first chapter.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of My Life.

02/04/2010 page 84