First Second Books's Reviews > The Secret Adversary

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

Feb 04, 13

bookshelves: colleen

I've always been more of a fan of Christie's detective-less stories with average people thrown into crazy situations, fighting to solve the mystery around them before it eats them up. Though this book stars Tommy and Tuppence, who later went on to become recurring detective characters of hers—though hardly ever Poriot or Marple status. This is their first appearance: two naïve 20-somethings who have no clue what is happening and are merely looking for a way to make a quick buck. It has much of the charm of her detective-less novels, while at the same time giving you someone to root for. The dialog is quick, smart, and sarcastic as Tommy and Tuppence constantly poke fun at each other in a way that would make Tony Stark and Pepper Potts proud. Conventional murder mystery cliches are mocked, like when Tommy sees the culprits going toward a cab and knows there's no way him jumping in another and yelling "Follow that cab" would ever work outside of a story or cheesy movie. It's so hard to believe this was published in 1922! I really need to time travel back and make Agatha my BFF.

(NOTE: I found The Secret Adversary on my Kobo's Free Downloads and had never heard of it. I love my Kobo Glo so much I have to resist the urge to hug it in my sleep like a stuffed animal. It's AMAZING both as a reader and as a way to support your favorite indie! Bought mine at WORD bookstore in Brooklyn, NY).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Adversary.

message 1: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hardy So the Kobo Glo is a good buy? I've been thinking about purchasing one. Reading on my Smartphone for now, but the screen is mighty small... The Glo would be great - you could read in any light, I imagine?