Kelly Maybedog's Reviews > Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch

Knitting for Good! by Betsy Greer

Apr 13, 09

bookshelves: what-knit-crochet, what-nonfiction, when-reviewed
Read in April, 2009

I like the concept, and I agree with pretty much everything the author says, I'm just not sure it needed a whole book. Or maybe just that the execution wasn't the greatest. Plus, this was really about Crafting for good not Knitting: most of the examples varied greatly in the different types of craft they were talking about. I think they were latching onto the knitting fad with the title.

The basic premise of the book is that you can engender social change in just about everything you do. Just buy buying locally and not supporting businesses that employ slave labor. Buying and selling crafts is more environmental and socially conscious. You can also spread goodwill just by communicating through knitting by someone seeing you knit and being interested even if you don't speak the same language. But that's true of just about anything you could be doing that's remotely creative. If you were sitting on a bus making a sculpture I bet you'd get a couple interested eyes.

I liked the fact that these things were being discussed about a mainstream hobby but I suspect that her identification with Riot Grrrl when she was younger probably would turn a few people off. Plus the book is text text text text text. The patterns are tiny line drawings so it's hard to even discern what they're supposed to be. But don't bother, they're almost all exceedingly boring and/or terrible. (There's this scary lion that looks like it's mouth exploded!) I wish they'd included the pattern for the cool knitted globe on the cover but alas, no.

There are other books out there which talk about knitting for charity (although the very slim chapter in here has some good ideas for knitting *with* people like prisoners, children, and the elderly) but if you're looking for specific how tos as a knitter, this won't be much help.

I laud the author for her efforts and her research but I think this could have been handled much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitting for Good!.