Boof's Reviews > Five Quarters of the Orange

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Apr 20, 09

bookshelves: british-authors, france, historical, read-in-2009, comfort-reading, my-current-top-10, my-most-amazing-books
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in April, 2009

I am head over heels in love with this book. Only a terrific author can write about something as appalling as war and occupation and uneccesary death but yet make you feel so alive and carefree whilste reading it. The prose was as mouthwatering, succulent and juicy as the food in the book and I wanted to be there! Yes, I wanted to run down to the Loire and swim and splash and yell and hang upsidedown from trees overhanging the river and race through sun-soaked fields and pick fruit in the orchards. I wanted to sneak off on the back of bike to the nearest village to watch a film in the cinema unbeknown to my mother, I wanted to set traps in the Loire and catch fish and I wanted to go to market on a Thursday morning and sell home-made pastries. And all this under German occupation. Only a talented author can make you feel like that while telling the story of something far more sinister.

This is a book about an old woman who comes back to the village of her childhood, but can't allow the villagers to find out who she really is. Aged nine Framboise and her family has to make a hasty exit from Les Laveuses and now she can't allow them to know the truth of who she really is and also what really happnened back in 1942. The book is as sumptuous as it is teasing with bits of information that allows the reader to peice all the fragments together over the course of the story and lead us to the final catastrophic moments.

I adored this book; it was ripe, tangy and a feast for the senses. I want to read it all over again. But if not, it has made me hungry and now I need to go and raid the fridge.........

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Quarters of the Orange.

04/17/2009 page 98
22.69% "I am LOVING this book! It's just gorgeous!" 2 comments
04/18/2009 page 213
49.31% "I am totally head over heels in love with this book!"
04/19/2009 page 318
73.61% "Nearly done :o("

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by ☯Bettie☯ (new)

☯Bettie☯ I love your enthusiasm, it has convinced me that I need to try this, thank you.

Boof Ooh good Bettie. I hope you like it as much as I am.

message 5: by Dottie (last edited Apr 18, 2009 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dottie I read Chocolat first of Harris/s books but only after having seen the delightful film. But Five Quarters of the Orange moved into first place immediately and though I've loved all I've read thus far, Five Quarters remains in first place, in my opinion.

A side story -- I took Chocolat to Belgium with me though I'd already read it -- then picked FQotO in the English language section of the local store. A while later, I saw Chocolat, and Five Quarters both in Dutch -- exact books and covers -- so they came home with me -- I read a third one in English and then purchased the Dutch of it as well. Six years later, just this past month, my husband was so desperate for his next book in Dutch that he asked me what I had and I gave him Five Quarters of the Orange -- and he loved it! These days hubby keeps his Dutch in good repair by reading books and sometimes corresponding with colleagues or his favorite columnist in one of the newspapers over there.

Allison Your comments are the same as my thoughts!

Boof It's a wonderful book isn't it? I still think about it.

Susana Silvestre I've read it years ago, maybe 7,8, I can´t precise, and I still think about it sometimes. It's amazing!

Kate i loved your review..said everthing i couldn't! It's a perfect book :)