Michael's Reviews > The Dominion of the Dead

The Dominion of the Dead by Robert Pogue Harrison

Apr 20, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction-read
Read in April, 2009

Harrison's erudite essays blend literary criticism, psychology, anthropology, theology, and philosophy to create a thought-provoking book on a subject that concerns us all. His scholarship is impressive, and his delivery is reminiscent of Gaston Bachelard. It is a book that requires time to digest each essay, for his writing calls upon the reader to think reflectively and creatively about that which has been read. Harrison's work is as important to me as a stimulus and point of departure for my own thoughts as it is for the author's opinions. A book that makes one think deep thoughts is always a book worth reading. I appreciated his insights on all of the ways in which the dead interact with the living and on the tension between the dead and the unborn which informs our existence. I am improved for having read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dominion of the Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire you like Bachelard?

Michael Claire wrote: "you like Bachelard?"
Yes, but as a point of departure for my own thoughts more than as a source of information. His analyses tend to be somewhat idiosyncratic, but he thinks about important things in very interesting ways.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire Michael wrote: "Claire wrote: "you like Bachelard?"

oh ok.