Liz's Reviews > Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth

Capt. Hook by J.V. Hart

2042021
Apr 13, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: own, books-read-in-2010, reviewed, pirates, swashbuckling, adventure, ya-and-childrens
Read from June 02 to 06, 2010

I liked this book well enough, but not as much as I had hoped to like it (especially seeing as how the author wrote the screenplays for Hook and Muppet Treasure Island, two movies I loved as a kid and still love to this day). The story doesn't really get going until over a hundred pages in, so it took me awhile to get into it. The second half of the book is a lot better, but still leaves the reader with a lot of unanswered questions (presumably there is to be a sequel, though I haven't found out when, if ever, it will be released). One thing that really bothered me was the style of writing. It seemed like the author was trying to imitate the style of a classic adventure novel, but it ends up reading more like a florid romance. I was really getting sick of hearing about James' "blue forget-me-nots" (his eyes) and "flowing, raven-colored locks".

I do have to say that I LOVED Brett Helquist's illustrations. I was a big fan of his work in A Series of Unfortunate Events, and it was nice to see it again.

For me, at this point, the series could go either way. I'm curious enough about what happens to read the second book when it comes out, but I'm a bit wary of it. This novel was a lot of set-up, so hopefully once the story really gets ripping it will be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capt. Hook.