Alessandra's Reviews > Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands

Maps and Legends by Michael Chabon

Apr 13, 09

bookshelves: 2009

This probably could have been called "In Defense of Genre Fiction," and I'm glad that someone like Michael Chabon is making such important points in favor of genre fiction. I just wasn't blown away by a lot of the essays--they were smart and well-written, but they were occasionally lacking in depth. (Not all of them, mind you.) For instance, the essay about Sherlock Holmes was really engaging, but then I felt it didn't go anywhere in particular. He mentioned fanfiction at the very end, and then suddenly that was it. It seemed as if he had more to say... Tracing the history of something is always important, but why trace the history if you don't delve into the modern repercussions?

Maybe I'm just being picky, but the book was a little like sitting next to someone super interesting at a very loud dinner party--you're grateful for the encounter, but you lament the fact that you weren't able to talk more/ask more questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maps and Legends.