Liz's Reviews > Charly

Apr 13, 09

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, teen-reads
Read in April, 2009

I love reading the reviews on here after I finish a book. Everyone's comments made me want to remove the fourth star. But . . .

I'm not going to be one of those people who rants about how tear jerking and wonderfully romantic this book is. And it is far from realistic. But I won't complain about the writing either. From what I understand Jack Weyland is a Pysics professor at Ricks College (I don't know if he stayed on past Ricks, so that's what I'll call it). And I think to myself, for a science brain living in small town Idaho, this is a pretty well written story. And I think the quality of writing matched the narrator well. If Charly had told the story I would have wanted it to be more poetic and thoughtful. But since it was Sam's story I thought the writing suited him.

I read this in one sitting. Took about as long as watching the movie would have. So I can't complain. I'm glad someone summarized the plot of "Sam" on their review. Won't bother reading that. I don't like that these books make women seem like they should stay at home and be housewives, but it was written by a middle aged man in the 80's so whatever.

Oh, the Bishop doing the dishes thing is what really got me. Like no one would really help. Please . . . and like he'd really hesitate to share the gospel just to get out of doing the dishes. A couple other things made me roll my eyes, but overall, I have to admit, I really liked it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charly.