Sue's Reviews > Guide to Fiction Writing

Guide to Fiction Writing by Phyllis A. Whitney

Apr 13, 2009

bookshelves: read-2009, read-1995, writing
Read in July, 2009 — I own a copy

This is one of the best books I've read covering all aspects of writing fiction. It particularly focuses on novels - the author was a published author of many novels, in several genres - but the sections of characterisation, plotting, emotion and so on are relevant to all fiction writers. Indeed. many non-fiction writers would probably benefit from reading this book.

Admittedly it's rather dated. It was published in 1982, so the author was still talking about using a typewriter. The short section on submitting documents for possible publication are also a little out of date in the era of email and useful websites.

But that's the only problem I have with this otherwise excellent book. I first read it about fifteen years ago, when I was only beginning to think about writing seriously, and found it very inspiring. Re-reading this past week has enthused and encouraged me over again.

Sadly long out of print, but highly recommended if you can get hold of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guide to Fiction Writing.

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. I see no issue. Replace the word typewriter in the mind with "keyboard". :) And of course she created no problem; we're still loving her long enough to call 1982 old. Frankly I'd hate to receive a contract solely by e-mail. I wouldn't trust it.