Libby's Reviews > Affluenza: When Too Much is Never Enough

Affluenza by Clive Hamilton

1820314
Apr 13, 2009

bookshelves: social-commentary, aussie
Recommended for: People who own $2700 Louis Vuitton yoga mats and buy sleeping bags for their ferrets
Read in October, 2006

I think that it should be compulsory reading for:
a) Every Secondary School student in Australia.
b) People who own $2700 Louis Vuitton yoga mats and buy sleeping bags for their ferrets.
d) People who measure their self-worth and happiness by money.
e) ... OK everybody should read it :)

As I was reading this I felt nauseous at just how wasteful and affluent our country has become at the expense of what truly matters. I never really ever entered the whole "rat race, keeping up with the Joneses" thing myself as I just had no interest in materialism(much to the bemusement and derision of some family members and the odd acquaintance) but recently our little family has been faced with some decisions brought about by the birth of our first child and drop to one income with a mortgage. Instead of entering the rat race to keep up we made a very easy decision to not even go there...so I guess that makes us down-downshifters - the whole slow lifestyle just makes sense to us and we wouldn't have it any other way :)

The closing paragraph describes a dystopian future where people keep blindly accumulating "stuff" until society is one big mess of waste, psychological disorders, fractured relationships and lives without meaning. I echo the hopes of the authors in the last sentence of this paragraph: "We believe the people of Australia will not accept such a future".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affluenza.

12/20/2016 marked as: read

Corin You have really downshifted. You obviously feel the use of sequential letters when listing is excessive. I wish i could live without using example c)
(Sorry, just being a numpty)