PurplyCookie's Reviews > Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Apr 13, 2009

bookshelves: biography-memoir, non-fiction, philosophy, religious
Read in May, 2009

"I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on the good things still in my life. I don't allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each every morning, a few tears, and that's all."

Morrie Schwartz is the kind of man we would all want to know. A professor who loves to teach and to learn. A kind, loving man with an approach to life that we learn is very particular and precise for him. He has lived his life according to his own philosophy. Mitch Albom, the author, first met Morrie years ago while a student at Brandeis College in Massachusetts, and Morrie became his mentor. Since then they have lost touch but fate brought them together as Morrie gets confined in his house waiting to die to ALS.

"Everybody knows they're going to die, but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently." This book helps you get a view on how much life is good, how some people waste their lives, and how people can enjoy the time they have on Earth. I thought that it helped me understand that death isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a good thing especially if you have lived the life that you wanted to.

The Tuesdays spent with Morrie were filled with simple platitudes: Live fully and in the moment. Treat others with respect, kindness, love, and dignity. Seek joy.

It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, you truly only need to love and to allow yourself to be loved. Whenever I feel as though I'm losing touch with the importance of my life, I begin to read this book. "If you're trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down at you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere."

"Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too--even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling."

"This is part of what a family is about, not just love. It's knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame. Not work." I guess almost every one of us just got caught up in the game of life and every now and then we need a reminder that life is too short and we are here only but a short while.

Book Details:

Title Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man and Life's Greatest Lesson
Author Mitch Albom
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays with Morrie.

Quotes PurplyCookie Liked

Mitch Albom
“You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too--even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.”

Mitch Albom
“If you're trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down on you anyhow. And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere. Only an open heart will allow you to float equally between everyone.”

Mitch Albom
“Everyone knows they re going to die,' he said again, 'but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently.”

Mitch Albom
“I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on the good things still in my life. I don't allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each every morning, a few tears, and that's all.”

Mitch Albom
“This is part of what a family is about, not just love. It's knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame. Not work.”

04/18/2009 page 80
04/22/2009 "i start remembering my late grandfather whenever i approach this book. unsure if i can continue reading :("
show 1 hidden update…