PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Eternal Enemy

The Eternal Enemy by Christopher Pike

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: read-growing-up, science-fiction, fave-author
Read in April, 2009

"It's just the news. The news is not scary. It's always happening far away and to someone else."

I really feel that this is an adult book trapped behind a teen book's cover. Or at least, a book that is more appropriate for more intelligent teenagers, and adults. It's extremely deep and fascinating, with many levels of meaning. It starts off as a typical teen novel wherein you're introduced to Rela and she her typical teenage problems until she buys a VCR that could tape tomorrow's news. After regularly recording the future, she decides that she could give it an alternate ending -- until she watches her own murder. But can she change destiny and prevent her own death along with the catalysmic events following it? The novel develops into a tragic vision of a future dystopia caused by genetic technoengineering that Rela must try to prevent from occuring.

The way the conflict in the story was resolved and the character descriptions tied into the story's overarching theme and plot. It elicited a lot of emotions and left me with a sense of who the characters were. I felt I could understand the characters' psychology and I how their personality tied into their actions. After reading "The Eternal Enemy" you will see people in a different light and it will make you question technology per se. This story to be very deep -- exploring issues of how our actions shape our future.

Book Details:

Title The Eternal Enemy
Author Christopher Pike
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Enemy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Nicole :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Amanda :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Sati Marie! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Danny! :)

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Fenn I loved these books. Heve you read Pike's 'Whisper Of Death?' That book is mind-blowing!

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Samantha! :)
I have, "Whisper of Death" is my favorite of Pike's works