PurplyCookie's Reviews > Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: guilty-pleasure, book-series, young-adult, 1st-in-a-series, bitch-lit, revenge
Read on March 22, 2006 — I own a copy, read count: 2

"Ever wondered what the lives of the chosen ones are really like? Well, I'm going to tell you because I'm one of them. I'm talking about people who are born to it -- those of us who have everything anyone could possibly wish for and who take it all completely for granted. It's a luxe life, but someone's gotta live it."

An omniscient narrator sees inside the shallow hearts of popular Blair Waldorf, her stoned hottie of a boyfriend, Nate, and her former best friend Serena van der Woodsen, just expelled from boarding school and "gifted with the kind of coolness that you can't acquire by buying the right handbag or the right pair of jeans. She was the girl every boy wants and every girl wants to be."

Serena is the center of controversy, surrounded by rumors that range from her being a sex fiend to a drug addict. Bulimic Blair, her former best friend, loves Nate, but discovers that he's hooked up with Serena. Ninth-grade Jenny idolizes Serena while her brother Dan has a consuming crush on her. Vignettes of school, social events, shopping, and Web-page entries make this fast, easy reading that's both funny and sad. Truth takes a backseat to rumor, and curiosity is satisfied by gossip, not questions and answers. Von Ziegesar's approach is fresh, although mean and petty comments dominate these teens' world. Characters are somewhat stereotypical: teen sex goddess; handsome, fickle boyfriend; unaffected young teen; and goody-goody brother.

Though anyone hoping for character depth or emotional truth should look elsewhere, readers who have always wished romance authors would write about teenagers are in for a superficial, nasty, guilty pleasure. The book has the effect of gossip itself once you enter it's hard to extract yourself. Although this book could be viewed like a trashy catty novel of the upper class life, it is very enjoyable and a good light, funny read.

"You know you love me, Gossip Girl"

Book Details:

Title Gossip Girl #1: A Novel (Gossip Girl Series)
Author Cecily Von Ziegesar
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gossip Girl.