PurplyCookie's Reviews > Citizen Girl

Citizen Girl by Emma McLaughlin

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit, hated-it
Read in February, 2009

How did this book get published? If I could only give this book a ranking of 0, believe me I would. This has got to be the worst chick lit book I've read in quite a long time. I always try to give books a chance -- by actually finishing it -- but with this one, I just can't bring myself to do so.

"Citizen Girl" is the sophomore effort from McLaughlin and Kraus, who debuted with "The Nanny Diaries". This time around, our heroine is Girl, a twentysomething women's studies major whose liberal arts education led her to believe that saving women from worldwide oppression was as easy as reporting for duty at her local feminist non-profit. As Girl soon learns, no job is ever as it seems, and even the director of the Center for Equity in Community is not free from manipulating her staff in order to get ahead.

Readers will tire of Girl's particular combination of naiveté and idealism after the first 50 pages, and the blatant stereotypes may wear thin after a while (Girl's boss at My Company is named Guy, and the woman they hire to turn things around is called Manley). I mean, c'mon, there's a drought of originality in coming up with the characters' names here! Add to this the peppering of swear words throughout the entire novel; it's all uncalled for and unnecessary in the plot.

If you are curious to read this book, pm me, I'll give it to you for free. But if I happen to spot a trash can soon enough, then I'm defintely throwing this one away.

Book Details:

Title Citizen Girl
Author Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Citizen Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

PurplyCookie "Thanks for liking my book review Kate! :)"