PurplyCookie's Reviews > Princess Sultana's Daughters

Princess Sultana's Daughters by Jean Sasson

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, biography-memoir
Read in December, 2008

A member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia, Sultana now is married to a progressive prince, but this privileged status does not protect her or her two daughters from the country's repressive laws against women. This book serves as a sequel to another book by the same author, "Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia". Unfortunately, I still haven't seen this book anywhere.

Though a devout Muslim, Sultana believes the entrenched male power structure has perverted religious doctrine to justify veiling women and depriving them of basic civil liberties. The lack of opportunity to forge equal relationships with men before and after marriage, Sultana argues, is why one of her daughters became fanatically religious and the other suffered a mental breakdown.

Overall, this gives insight into the lives of royalty and the views of those who can be religious while flaunting the strict Sunni rules against alcohol and temporary marriage.

However, let us not confuse Islam with the practices of the royal family, the religious police, or the religious fanatics in the country. The majority of Saudi men and women live according to the principles of their religion in what they consider it to be a near perfect way of living, despite the obvious lack of freedom, human rights violations, and social and economic injustices that they suffer.

Book Details:

Title Princess Sultana's Daughters
Author Jean Sasson
Reviewed By Purplycookie
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Sultana's Daughters.

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Ellie! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review of your book, Jean! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Suhana! :)