PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Little Prince

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Jun 24, 09

bookshelves: childrens-books, classics, personal-faves, philosophy, fantasy, read-growing-up
Read in November, 2008

The story of "The Little Prince" continues to be a mainstay favorite of people of all ages; indeed, I don't know of anybody who has not heard of this classic story.

The story can basically be split into two parts: The first part is the short introduction dealing with the narrator and his view of the world when he was a child (plus his drawings of the inside and outside of a boa constrictor) and how adults could never understand the real meaning of things or perceive truth in the world--only the superficial and the usual. "Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."

The Little Prince also describes his journey from planet to planet, each tiny world populated by a single adult. It's a wonderfully inventive sequence, which evokes not only the great fairy tales but also such monuments of postmodern whimsy whenever the author pokes fun at the following: a king, a conceited man, a tippler, a businessman, a geographer, and a lamplighter, all of whom signify some futile aspect of adult existence.

At a different level, you can see the Little Prince's travels to other planets as an allegory for all of life. What are we seeking for? How do you know when we have found it? How can we lose what is important? The examples of self-absorbed adults, beginning with the aviator, provide many cautionary tales. "Don't you see -- I'm very busy with matters of consequence!"

The rest of the book is the story of the Little Prince, whom the narrator discovers in the Sahara when he is trying to fix his downed airplane and is in fear of his life. The narrator and the reader slowly come to know the prince's story and learn about friendship, love and truth in a touching way. "To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand little foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world..."

My favorite parts are those dealing with the prince's relationship with his beloved proud rose (her four thorns are supposed to protect her from tigers) left on his planet and the prince's relationship with the wise little fox, who offers the prince his philosophical secret on life. "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

The story of "The Little Prince" can be read at many different levels of meaning. In fact, the wider your mind and heart, the more you will appreciate the story. But the narrower your mind and heart, the more you need this story.

Book Details:

Title The Little Prince
Author Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prince.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Naomijaynehosker Hosker you have just explained perfectly why i love this book so much... :)

PurplyCookie Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Naomijaynehosker wrote: "you have just explained perfectly why i love this book so much... :) "

PurplyCookie Thanks for all those who liked my review! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review Yuki, Michelle, Stephanie, Angela, Febo, Rauf, Citlalib, Reed, Melissa, Ruby, and Andriy! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review Diana! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review Janet! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Rachel! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Bree! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, en! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Erika! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Rikaap! :)

message 12: by Sweetp (new)

Sweetp I read it before and I could understand some of it. after your comments I want to go back and re-read to see if o would see it in another light. thank you for your incitement.

PurplyCookie You're most welcome, Sweetp :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Francis! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Gattaca! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Salymar! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Drew! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Christine!

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Infinity13!

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review Chin! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Diane! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Connie! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, LJ! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Jackie! :)