Donalyn's Reviews > Redwall: The Graphic Novel

Redwall by Stuart Moore

Apr 12, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in April, 2009

In my ongoing quest to learn more about the graphic novels available for my students to read, I chose this version of Brian Jacques' classic fantasy, Redwall. I have read many of the Redwall books and watched the BBC cartoon version, so I felt knowledgeable enough to compare the graphic novelization to the original story.

The major plot points arethere, but I felt a lack of connection to the characters. Redwall is a long book with lots of character development and insight into the community of animals in and around Redwall Abbey. I think that the graphic novel was more plot driven than the original book. The graphic novel was still good, I just came away with the feeling that I had experienced a different, shallower Redwall.

The black and white illustrations were hard to decipher at times, especially during the fight scenes when many characters are shown. Perhaps some color, both visual and literary would have improved it.

Still, I think that some fans of Redwall might enjoy reading a different interpretation and perhaps graphic novel fans might be attracted to the original book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redwall.