PurplyCookie's Reviews > The Vicar of Nibbleswicke

The Vicar of Nibbleswicke by Roald Dahl

Apr 12, 2009

bookshelves: childrens-books, personal-faves
Read in July, 2008

This is truly one of the funniest children's book I've ever read. I usually pick it up whenever I'm feeling blue and it never fails to elicit a giggle from me.

Imagine what would happen if a nervous young parson were re-afflicted with a peculiar strain of his childhood dyslexia, so that he unknowingly pronounced backwards only the most significant word in every sentence.

In the fiendish hands of Roald Dahl, the parishioners must not only suffer the offense of praising Dog, but when the unsuspecting vicar attempts to compliment a group of little old ladies on the fact that each of them knits, his actual words incite chaos.

Written for the benefit of the Dyslexia Institute in London, this slight book employs a host of jocular (though sometimes vulgar) malaprops to accentuate the beleaguered parson's condition. He exhorts women at their First Communion to pis ("sip") along the wine from the chalice, and requests that parishioners not krap ("park") along the front of the church. Finding the naughty jokes was incredible fun, and the lighthearted approach to solving the vicar's problem by walking backwards so the words come out frontwards is charming.

Blake's daffy illustrations have long captured the outrageous humor of Dahl's text, and this collaboration proves no exception.

Book Details:

Title The Vicar of Nibbleswicke
Author Roald Dahl
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vicar of Nibbleswicke.