Kathleen's Reviews > City of Glass

Apr 12, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009, young-adult, fiction
Read in April, 2009

This book was utterly predictable from the first chapter, which isn't actually a criticism. When, halfway through the book, I thought that Clare might have been throwing a curve, I very nearly stopped reading. Since it remained an utterly predictable urban fairytale, the novel wasn't actually a waste of time.

Oh, it certainly had its flaws as far as organization and prose. The death of a good character should not, in my opinion, be presented in such a way as to make the reader relieved that a more interesting character did not die. While this is fitting with the general air of the book as a melodrama, it does nothing to elevate the tone. That said, there are vaguely interesting characters.

Particularly Mangus Bane, who proves in this book that the devil doesn't always get the best lines, they are sometimes give to the deus ex machina. I actually laughed out loud twice. In fact, he manages to surpass plot device in this book, a feat he didn't manage in either of the previous two.

Overall, I do recommend this book if you want a little mindless entertainment. In the end, who doesn't like spending three hours or so reading a story about demons, magic, and good triumphing over all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.