PurplyCookie's Reviews > Little Lord Fauntleroy

Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: classics, childrens-books
Read on August 11, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I wasn't expecting to like it, although was a tad curious to read Burnett's other works. I got myself a copy of Aladdin's Classics version; a warning though: don't read P. Horvath's foreword. I don't know why she was chosen to write for this classic; all she's able to do for me was to turn me off from reading the selection.

Moving on...memorable parts of the story was the friendship between Mr. Hobbs ("i'll be jiggered!") and Cedric. You will undoubtedly fall in-love with the little lord and his Mom, whom he fondly calls "Dearest," since in his 7 y/o mind, she should rightfully be called as his father did before he died.

Quite insightful was the time when Fauntleroy was writing a letter that his Grandfather, the Earl, has asked him to do. Fauntleroy (child that he was, made a lot of spelling mistakes) and so he remarked, "...You see that's the way with words of more than one syllable; you have to look in the dictionary. It's always the safest. I'll write it over again."

I laughed out loud at this bit: Fauntleroy has successfully secured his post as a lord and was showing his grocer friend around the castle's picture gallery and the former thinking that he's in a museum of some sort:
"N--no!" said Fauntleroy, rather doubfully. "I don't think it's a museum. My grandfather says these are my ancestors."
"Your aunts' sisters!" ejaculated Mr. Hobbs. "All of 'em? Your great-uncle, he must have had a family! Did he raise 'em all?"

Book Details:

Title Little Lord Fauntleroy
Author Frances Hodgson Burnett
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Lord Fauntleroy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Ruby! :)