Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

** spoiler alert ** This was a good short story with plenty of chills. I kind of didn't like the ending, though. It leaves you hanging. I choose to believe that all is well with with poor Ichabod.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Ronyell I agree, I didn't like the ending either. I felt sorry for Ichabod.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner As I understand the story (from reading between the lines), it's not as ambiguous as it appears: Ichabod wasn't chased by a real headless ghost, but by Brom Bones in disguise; but, not knowing that and being very superstitious, he was so frightened that he fled the state, leaving Katrina to his rival. (Most critics --actually, ALL of the ones I've ever read discussing the story-- take this interpretation for granted.) So, cheer up; Ichabod got away safe and well! :-)

message 4: by Cameron (new) - added it

Cameron Yea it sucks

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Werner wrote: "As I understand the story (from reading between the lines), it's not as ambiguous as it appears: Ichabod wasn't chased by a real headless ghost, but by Brom Bones in disguise; but, not knowing that..."

I wasn't aware that you had posted your assessment, Werner. Thank you for the insight. Since I like the supernatural bent, I want to believe the Headless Horseman is real, so I might stick with that interpretation. But it's good to know Ichabod is safe and sound. :)

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner Yes, we wouldn't want anything really bad to happen to Ichabod! :-)