Christian's Reviews > Columbine

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Jun 15, 09

bookshelves: informational-text
Read in June, 2009

Someone recently said to me they were worried that books like this gave the murderers what they wanted, to still be talked about after their crimes and deaths. I need to disagree. I do not think this book in any way glorifies what they did or who they were. Instead it gives a startling insight into why.

While I think a lot of the myths surrounding the events of April 20, 1999 had already been shattered for me before I read this account, the book is powerful and important nonetheless. The author does a terrific job of stripping away the "Trench Coat Mafia", Goth, homosexual, bullying, religion hating "excuses" that have been widely reported and accepted by the mainstream media.

This is an undisputable, factual account of what led to, happened during and what happened after that day.

The writing is spare and terse but gripping. The author effectively weaves the story of dozens of people and captures each one in a unique manner.

The layout of the book was masterful. The first section starts with the massacre. The rest of the book flashes back to the murderers upbringing and planning in one chapter and then the next chapter deals with the aftermath, all rushing forward again to the day of the attack. It was like nothing I had ever read before.

Writing these reviews is not my strong suit. There are better written reviews out there (several here on Goodreads) and the author is answering questions this week and next on Goodreads.

The bottom line is that I found this to be a powerful that will stay with me for a long time to come.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.