Leonora's Reviews > A Spot of Bother

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon

Apr 01, 07

Read in March, 2007

This book was much better than I thought it would be. I found myself drawn into it unlike other novels which lately don't seem to hold my interest.

The writing style is completely different from "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" which was refreshing. He showed ability in this book to write a normal, even typical, story.

What drew me in was the same thing that drew me to Herman Hesse. He uncannily describes emotions that I've felt on almost every page. Hesse does that brilliant thing of making all human experience universal and Haddon does that to a lesser degree in this book.

I was continually surprised by the main character, even though he never did anything out of character, and so even though I guessed on what note the book would end, I was still surprised and delighted by the events at the end.

I'm almost tempted to say it's better than "Curious Incident" because it's less gimmicky, more of a real novel. He doesn't reinvent the wheel, he writes a good story with interesting ideas.

Actually at one point today, I was so shocked and disgusted by one part that I got nauseous. So my new protocol for a book is if you don't want to throw up, it can't be that good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spot of Bother.