Mazola1's Reviews > Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior

Sway by Ori Brafman

Apr 12, 09

Sway is a light but thought provoking little book which attempts to shed some light on why people believe and stubbornly continue to act upon irrational beliefs. Why did Lyndon Johnson and George Bush get stuck in paths of action which viewed rationally could be seen to be mistakes? For the same reasons investors don't dump stocks even after it's obvious they're headed for the celler -- because it's very hard to take a loss. Why would people pass up an opportunity to receive a significant amount of money for free, no strings attached? Because the person they would have to share the gift with was allowed to determine the split and allocated more than half to himself.

Sway describes intriguing psychological experiements which reveal how flawed our decision making can be, how we are swayed by our preconceptions and the beliefs of others. Sway is easy to read and clearly written. It is a slim volume, and a quick read. But if you're like me, you'll probably end up spending more time thinking about what it says than you spend reading it. That is indeed the hallmark of a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sway.