Chad Warner's Reviews > The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe

Apr 12, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

The whole book could take a while to read; it contains 73 of Edgar Allan Poe's tales, plus 57 of his poems. Many of them are macabre-themed. I started by reading through the table of contents and noting the ones with recognizable titles, and then read those. Later I went back and tried a few of the unknown ones. It was a pretty mixed bag; some of his works are excellent, and others are simply too strange or antiquated for my taste.

Here are the works I liked:
The Gold-Bug: the narrator joins a man who finds a golden beetle in the ensuing adventure.
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar: the narrator hypnotizes a dying man to postpone his death.
The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade: Sinbad the Sailor (from the Middle-Eastern story One Thousand and One Nights) explains the creatures, civilizations, scientific discoveries, and natural wonders of the western hemisphere from a Middle-Eastern perspective.
The Murders in the Rue Morgue: the narrator learns how a seemingly inexplicable murder mystery was committed.
The Pit and the Pendulum: the narrator is imprisoned by the Inquisition and subjected to torture. Each time he escapes one method of torture, another takes its place.
The Tell-Tale Heart: the narrator deals with a guilty conscience after committing murder.
The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether: the narrator discovers the truth about the management of an asylum for the insane.
The Spectacles: the vain and poor-sighted narrator learns a lesson.
The Raven: a black bird brings no comfort to the depressed and grieving narrator. One of my favorite poems ever!
Lenore: the narrator laments his love, who died young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.