J's Reviews > Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1

Queen and Country by Greg Rucka

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in April, 2009

My buddy, Erik, occasionally gives me stacks of comics (graphic novels, trade paperbacks, whatever you and your little pals calls ‘em these days) and I have to thank him for restoring my faith in comics and for turning me on to a lot of great stories. Queen & Country is on par with some of the best stuff Erik’s loaned me. Books that have become favorites, like Walking Dead, The Chronicles Of Wormwood, Rex Mundi, and Ex Machina.

Erik doesn’t like The Goon, though. He doesn’t much care for Motorhead, either. Weirdo.

The writing on Queen & Country is good. Rucka’s done a neat job here. He’s made Queen & Country to spy stories what Walking Dead is to zombie stories.

The artists change on every story. Most of it’s pretty good. I like the cartoony stuff because it draws a great contrast with the serious, dramatic story. Anyway, no, it’s not cool to see each individual little snowflake of an artist interpret Rucka’s characters. It’s distracting. And confusing. And kind of special. But not in a helpful way like, say, a bottle of Lauenbrau. Indeed. Indeed.

But, hey, it just goes to show how effing good Rucka is. I guess they made a movie outta’ his book, Whiteout, starring Kate Beckinsale? Crazy. But don’t hold that against his writing! I mean it, this is good stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen and Country.