Erin's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

bookshelves: mysteries, historical-fiction
Recommended to Erin by: Won it on First Reads
Recommended for: Marika, Danica, Mom
Read in June, 2009

"It is not unknown for fathers with a brace of daughters to reel off their names in order of birth when summoning the youngest, and I had long ago become accustomed to being called 'Ophelia Daphne Flavia, damn it."

I enjoyed this little mystery very much. Getting to know the feisty protagonist eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce was a treat and I look forward to reading future books about her. Set in England in the 1950s, Flavia sassily makes her way through various clues determined to solve a mystery which began with a dead bird, a stamp, and a missing piece of pie. And then there's the dead body that turns up in the cucumber patch. This is a satisfying, fun mystery that is not without a dark side. Can't wait to read more about Flavia!

I won this book on the Goodreads website in a contest called First Reads. The publisher sent me an Advanced Reading Copy, which still contains errors and is not yet ready to be sold. It was fun getting this book in the mail, and I am signed up with high hopes of winning more in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.